Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Review: A Modern Love Story by Jolyn Palliata

Title: A Modern Love Story
Author: Jolyn Palliata
Publication date: April 1st 2013
My rating: 2 из 5
SUMMARY (from Goodreads)
After the death of her parents, Robbie Byrne is put in foster care where she meets her exact opposite, Luc Cintrone. Abandoned as a small child, Luc is a foul-mouthed rebel who takes it upon himself to be her defender, whether she likes it or not. As they grow up, they fumble through their different roles in each other's lives—family, confidants and then, ultimately, lovers.

Just as the couple is settling into their newfound relationship, they encounter a beautiful lawyer, Payten, who is immediately taken by Luc's rough edges. But he denies her, making him absolutely irresistible in her eyes. Payten is a woman who has grown accustomed in her privileged life in obtaining whatever she wants, no matter the cost or sacrifice. And she is fairly confident Luc will eventually see things her way…one way or another.
MY THOUGHTS

First 30% of A Modern Love Story was good. My rating for this part is3.5 Stars. It was sweet, romantic and innocent story about two foster kids: Robbie, whose parents died, and Luc, whose parents abandoned him. We see their relationship move from reluctant partnership to friendship to love (though at first only Robbie felt this way). I liked how every chapter was a quick glance in their 12 years old, then 14 years old and so on. I think this story had potential but after about 30% it all went wrong and by the end of the book it became only worse.

My first problem with this book was cheating. I usually avoid this theme, so if I knew beforehand there would be cheating in this book I wouldn’t pick it up. Although cheating is not my theme I can appreciate it if it tackled well, which I can’t say about this A Modern Love Story. Luc never redeemed himself in my eyes. Rather big portion of the book is about cheating, and author can’t make readers invest their emotions and time in these cheating scenes and later make some quick excuses for hero. Luc says he is sorry and he is forgiven.

My second problem was the plot and characterization of Payten. Plot was unbelievable. Payten was pictured as an evil villain, who stops at nothing (and I mean nothing) to have Luc. The things she did to ruin Luc and Robbie’s relationship were so ridiculous and unbelievable, that they make me roll my eyes.

The one thing I really appreciate in this book is portraying of the foster parents. Not all of foster parents are abusers, sadists or rapists (this picture we often see in Young Adult and New Adult nowadays).There is actually caring and loving foster parents. I adored Leah and Lawson. I wish they were more fleshed-out.

All and all A Modern Love Story is not the greatest book. While there are parts I liked, this was a disappointment.





No comments:

Post a Comment